Friday, December 21, 2012

Buggies, Lagoons and Caipirinhas

In Jericoacoara, where the roads are paved with sand, there are only two ways to get around - donkey or sand buggy.  After a long and hard debate on the pros and cons of each mode of transport we ended up choosing the former, but apparently our donkeys went missing so we had no choice but to settle for latter; what a bummer!

So at 08.30 sharp our buggies still hadn't arrived yet - well, we are in Brazil - but by 0900 hours we were all set to move out on a journey of exploration around the sand dunes of Jeri.


With me riding shotgun in buggy number 2


and Iris and Lyora on the lookout up top,


our first port of call was the "Lazy Tree."


As you can see from the picture below, the tree is so called because its roots are extruding from the ground and it appears to be laying down, fittingly adapting to the Brazilian way of life, especially in these parts.


After jealously admiring this tree's lifestyle for a few minutes we continued to our next stop at the "Lagoa Azul", or the "Blue Lagoon" for those who don't falla Portugues, unlike myself of course.


After the strenuous crossing by foot in half a meter of clear blue water,


we were absolutely exhausted. According to our guides, there was only one remedy for the dire situation in which we found ourselves, in order to ensure that the rest of our trip wouldn't have to be cancelled.


Ice cold coconut water consumed at an angle of approximately 180 degrees suspended over crystal clear, blue water in a hammock.  I must admit I was skeptical but it seemed to do trick.

After our near death experience at the "Lagoa Azul" our guides suggested that we should find a place to recuperate for a couple of hours to recover from the trauma.  So we quickly made our way to the "Lagoa Paraiso" -  I don't think it needs translation.


A bite to eat,


a drink or two,



and a little dose of sunshine


ensured the full recovery of most of us, but unfortunately, my dear followers, my game was almost up.  I hadn't responded to the treatment as well as the others and my trip was headed to an early conclusion.  Luckily, our waiter, who doubled as doctor of natural medicines, knew what to give me to bring me back.


He recommended that i drink an ice cold lime caipirinha while being suspended in a hammock between two palm tree trunks over crystal clear blue water.  I tried to fight it but in was absolutely necessary for my survival.  An hour later I was back to my old self. I would live to blog another blog.

After a day full of drama, we headed back to town,


 to relax,


and watch the sun set over Jericoacoara.


No comments:

Post a Comment